Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Importance of Self-Care

One of the biggest lessons I am learning especially after becoming a mother is the importance of self-care. Self care can mean something different for each individual person but basically it essentially means to do whatever is necessary to keep yourself centered and happy. After my daughter was born, I was so overwhelmed with taking care of her that I really let this go out the window.  I was so exhausted from raising a new born that I was either taking care of her or sleeping. It was always the mentality of "one day, I will take care of myself." I didn't realize how counterproductive this was and that I could actually become a much better mother and wife if I took the time to get myself healthy.

So, what are my current methods of self-care?

1) Writing this blog is one of them. I have realized more and more that I need a creative outlet. I also feel like if I want to have another child in the near future that I need to set myself up in a mindset of creation and this is the best creative outlet I could think of.

2) Taking the time to actually work out and strength train. The last time I was serious about strength training was in 2013 right before my wedding. It was for shallow reasons just to look better and of course it didn't last long. I want to feel and to be strong. I want to be able to keep up with my kids and to not have so many dang aches and pains when the next child come. So, I dedicate 4 hours a week to strength training and my husband is my biggest supporter with this goal. He comes up with workout routines, spots me, coaches me on my form and keeps our daughter entertained so I can do this.

3) Yoga is something that also brings me great joy and relaxation so I try to do that at least once a week. Usually on my rest days from working out.

4) Bubble baths. I love to relax and just shut my brain off for awhile.

5) Pushing myself into new social situations. This may sound like the opposite of self care but for me, the best way to beat my anxiety is to face it over and over. I am not very social due to all the health issues i have had for years, but I am finding myself saying yes to opportunities more and more lately and although they may start out awkward I never regret them.

6) Trying to make intuitive decisions about food and eat in a way that makes me feel good. This one has always been a struggle but I am starting to break the cycle of eating bad food just to turn around and detox again and again. And I feel amazing.

These are just a few thing that I am currently doing but I have a lot of goals for the new year that will hopefully enrich my life. It's important to seek out things that make you happy especially in a society that is just so busy and plugged in anymore.

Children don't have to ruin your lives and can do much to enrich them. Although it is a sacrifice to be a parent, it is one I do gladly. I am lucky to have a very supportive husband who allows me the time and space to take care of myself and I try to do my best to allow him the same in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment